Sunday, August 16, 2009

I'm back!!

Yes, I know, pick your jaws up off the floor. It has been a VERY long time since I posted. I'm happy to report that we are almost 100% moved into the new house and loving being here. The kids are having a blast in the pool, and getting to know the new neighbors while having plenty of visits from friends from the old neighborhood. Best of all-- BYRON HAS FINISHED HIS MASTERS!! Wooo hooo! I am so proud of him, and so so glad that life can get back to some semblance of normal. In fact, he is responsible for the this blog entry---after church he took the kids to see Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs so I could stamp. Then, he took them outside to ride bikes before dinner-- and after dinner, watched them outside again so I could finish up my cards. It felt so good to have some time to myself again.

My first order from the new catalog arrived during the week (aren't you amazed I was able to wait until August? I know I was!) and included the "Many Thanks" sizzlit. My list changed many times, but that item always stayed on there. I have to tell you that I was a little apprehensive about the size, and whether I would have a problem getting the letters to "release" cleanly (sometimes that is a problem with the leaf one). For this project, I used Bella Rose DP and the letters popped out easily. This is the other side of the paper I chose to use with the Big Shot Top Notes die.

Are you wondering why I chose the Bella Rose DP-- after all, it is retired! I had to. No, not another example of using up my hoard (although I do need to do that). When the move was mostly done and I could start organizing my craft room, I used up all my 48 regular colors reinkers to reink my pads. They needed it, but it also meant I could throw away some boxes and save some space. This technique, however, needs reinkers! And the only ones I had left were the In Colors. So I dug into containers for first the DP, then coordinating colors: Kiwi Kiss, Riding Hood Red, Pink Pirouette.

First, emboss a line image with white or clear embossing powder. I prefer white because there is more definition. After it cools, squeeze a drop or two of reinker onto a plastic lid. Spritz your embossed image with water-- not a little , A LOT. Then use an Aqua Painter to pick up some reinker and touch it to the water. The color stays in the "well" created by the embossing, and the paper sucks it up. Let dry, then spritz again and use the deeper color for a contrast. You do have to let this dry thoroughly (overnight should do it) before attaching it to a card, and voice of experience-- use more color than you think you will need, because for me, this time at least, the roses faded a bit. I am still very pleased with it though!

Another hint-- emboss the images on separate pieces of paper. I ruined an entire sheet trying to put nine on one page. Plus-- cut them out after you color them. Much easier to see what you are cutting that way!

The finished card! I used the large swirl from Baroque Motifs in Kiwi Kiss on the Kiwi Kiss layer because it needed something. Then I stamped the swirl in Riding Hood Red on the inside corners of the card, and the envelope, and finally I was happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment