Wednesday, January 6, 2010

more quick birthday cards



I hope your week is going well! I'm finally out from under that ton of paper and starting to come up with Mid-Terms. In some ways a chore, but I am laughing at myself at how some quickly old teaching tricks are coming back to me (after all, I last taught in 1996!) and at how much homework *I* am having to do to keep up with the higher level kids ( IB 1 and 2 classes). In some ways that is a pain, it others it does give me a fair amount of freedom. For example, DC just enacted a 5 cent charge on plastic grocery bags (environmental reasons). Since in IB2 we were reading about smaller merchants versus giants (Walmart vs Mom and Pop stores) and how "le cabas" (reusable tote bag) came about, I pulled a comparison of plastic bags versus paper bags off of Le Monde.FR (lots of good green vocab, but if YOU know what Eutriphication is-- yes that is in English-- you are one up on me!) and assigned that for reading. Tomorrow we'll talk about the DC law, the article, and then (gasp!) they will have to write a short essay in class, using lots of good debate phrases also pulled off the internet-- a lovely UK site that is devoted to getting students through A- and O- French (I think that is our AP or Honors classes). I must say the internet is a godsend right now!



Ok on to my very quick cards! These are fold-out cards-- the cupcake swings open to reveal "Happy Birthday!". One for a boy(Only Orange candle and mat), one for a girl (Pixie Pink candle and mat), Tempting Turquoise for both, retired SU DSP, and OF COURSE there had to be glitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment