Friday, September 18, 2009

Operation Quiet Comfort-- Can you help?



When surfing a favorite site for inspiration, I saw a card request that resonated with me. Many of you know I like to send cards to organizations that distribute them to deployed military members (many of you have contributed cards to send with mine--thanks!). This request, however, was for the medical teams that wait to perform surgery and care for our wounded heroes.

This struck my heart like a blow. I do not know why. Maybe because I still remember the fear that gripped me when Byron fell off the roof-- and he was only 40 miles away for treatment.

The doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and orderlies that treat these heroes are not on the front lines per se, but think for a minute of the stress of trying to save the lives of the fallen-- and worse, the despair when all efforts fail.

Operation Quiet Comfort, in addition to putting cards with messages in transition bags, is also soliciting cards to distribute to medical teams; a small thank you for all they do.

My first 12 are ready to go (4 of each design I'm showing today). If you would like to send some too, all the info is below. Please-- the note about no glitter is a must, you know how that stuff spreads and breeds-- the cards are going to hospitals so NO GLITTER. If you are in the Stafford area, I will gladly include yours in mine-- my first package will be sent Tuesday Sept 22 (I hope to have 24 done by then).

Operation:Quiet Comfort www.operationquietcomfort.com

Cards for the Troops

Store bought and handmade cards are needed to include in our GO Bags (transition kits which are sent to over 60 combat support hospitals). Direct any questions to Diane Schneider (diane52381@nc.rr.com)

Types of cards: patriotic, thank you, thinking of you or just a cheerful hello from children and adults

Size: approx.4x5 – cards must fit into a quart size baggie

NO ENVELOPES
NO GLITTER


Blank cards will be sent to an OQC member to fill with a heartfelt message. However, we really need cards that are signed with a personal message. Begin with “Dear hero,” or a simple hello greeting. This can be used for any military branch. The messages can be long or short, simple or complex. A simple “Thank you for your service” or just write from your heart.
I’ll also accept messages written on 4x5 sheets of paper. I’ll attach to blank cards.

Cards are always needed, in any amount, from children and adults.

Sign the card with your name (First name only is fine) and city/state to show support comes from all over the U.S. Mail to:

Diane Schneider - OQC
6305 Cape Charles Drive
Raleigh, NC 27617

Include a slip of paper with your email address so receipt can be confirmed. Acknowledgements will also be posted on the OQC Yahoo group site.
**************

Wednesday I ignored all the housework and watercolored away. I am so happy I found my watercolor paper, it truly makes for a good experience! Above is my first attempt this season with Autumn Harvest. Stamp with Staz-On and gently add color a bit at a time. You may not be able to tell, but I lightly colored these pumpkins with watered-down More Mustard ink before painting them with both Pumpkin Pie and Only Orange-- there'e even a little Really Rust in there! Old Olive and Pumpkin make the leaves glow a little (they really pop in real life!).



Harvest Home is such a pretty set (are you really surprised to learn that I own all 3 of the stamps featured on page 26 of the catty? Nope, didn't think so!). Again, I stamped with Staz-On then went to town! I love crisp autumn days when the sky is so blue it almost hurts your eyes. Here, I added water to Tempting Turquoise and gently added about 5 coats to get the effect I wanted (yes I waited for each to dry just a little before going on). The leaf is colored with Really Rust, Old Olive, and a touch of Dusty Durango-- I wanted it to look like it would crack and fall apart. Here's a close-up of the image. Love these colors-- I am definitely an Earth Elements fan, all my favorite colors are in there!

Finally, below is a simpler version of the easy cards I made the other day. I love using that swirl (from Season of Joy)to suggest the wind.


Take a minute today to count your blessings!

julia

No comments:

Post a Comment