Saturday, November 21, 2009

Back in business!

Byron installed Windows 7 and it did something screwy to my photo editing program, so he pulled up a different one. I of course moaned about it and wanted the old one back! But I am thankful he patiently tutored me through this new one despite my complaints, because now I can post again.


This is the punch art pumpkin card Russell's class made on Friday. Russell's teacher wanted the kids to write a thank you note for something they were really thankful for, so I volunteered to come in and show how to do some easy cards. We had a ball and yes I let them use my punches, and even my Big Shot! They could choose a turkey or a pumpkin, and if they finished the first one they chose, could do the other. I had an assortment of designer papers pre-cut for them to choose from (cleaning out my stash!). The pumpkins are ovals, the bottom two placed side by side, almost overlapping. The top one has a Word Window punch stem and curled vine (thin strips of Garden Green wrapped around a bamboo skewer to curl it) glued to the back, then is placed over the overlapped two with a dimensional. When we did these in class last year, we sponged the edges with ink for more dimension. I did THINK about doing that with the kids, but quickly decided we might have pumpkin-hued kids if I did, so I let them loose on the punches instead.



The turkey card was a bit trickier but still fun. I did instruction sheets for the kids for both cards-- I'm such a visual person!


The punches used:
1-3/4" circle, 1 " circle
Spring Bouquet flower punch for the feet (now retired)
small oval punch


Here's how the body goes together. Adhere everything to the back, then flip when done.


The wattles I pre-punched. Punch a scallop circle with the Scallop Circle Punch. Of course, you're flipping the punch to see what you are punching, yes? Now insert just the edge of the scalloped circle back into the punch and punch a squiggly wattle. That is glued onto the back of the 1" circle. Flip that over, attach googlie eyes (these should have been just a bit bigger but these were what I had) and a hand-cut orange triangle for a beak. Pop the head onto the body with a dimensional, and your turkey is done!


Finally, another comment on cellophane bags. I NEVER run out of these. These gusseted ones I bought from Gina when she ordered a bunch last Christmas to wrap loaves of bread-- SU! no longer carries gusseted ones. Monday was my once a month "play day" and I sat and measured, cut, and put together templates for cocoa holders and candy holders-- I had seen some on a blog and was determined to do something like that, they were just amazing. With all that went on this week, Thursday evening came and I still hadn't done the goodie bags for Molly's church retreat leaders. Down to the basement I go. I packaged gourmet cocoa packets into a clear envelope and stamped a topper. Chocolates got tossed into another cello bag, tied with brown ribbon. Put those in the gusseted bags with packs of nuts, peanut butter crackers, Kashi bars, chocolate-dipped mint sticks. Tied up the bags with Chocolate chip Satin ribbon and wearily made my way upstairs to bed. The next morning I kept looking at the bags, wondering what I had forgotten. UH-- SOMETHING STAMPED!! I ran back down to the basement in between feeding the kids breakfast and quickly made Post-it Note books (these are so easy and quick!) and matching RSVP pens, opened the bags back up and threw it all in. Done!! Molly comes home tonight; I know she will have enjoyed herself thoroughly and I hope she will have grown a bit spiritually.

No comments:

Post a Comment